Wednesday 22 April 2015

Introducing Stock Tracing

Welcome to my Family History blog. Here I will be sharing some of the discoveries that I've made while researching my family history.

I created my first family tree when I was about 10 years old: that's nearly 40 years ago! And it still exists. As you can see below it was handwritten and has become very tatty.


Now, my family tree is stored online. I'm currently using the online family tree editor which is freely available at https://familysearch.org  This site is run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's a very comprehensive website, with lots of genealogical resources and is regularly updated. They also have an app for Android phones so that you can view and update your tree while you're out and about. Below is part of the view shown in my original tree as it looks on FamilySearch.org


I managed to create quite a comprehensive family tree early on by asking older family members (my parents, aunts and uncles, grandmother and great aunt) as much as possible about their memories of their families. For example: their parents and grandparents' names; the names of any uncles and aunts; where they lived; what they did for a living; when and where they were born. 

With all this information I have found it easier now to find documents online which relate to my family, especially with regards to census records.

All of the resources that I use for my research are either available free online or via my local library. In future posts I'll give details of some of the discoveries that I've made and what resources that I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment